Thursday, September 06, 2007

End of Summer Update

Since I am filling in as a receptionist this week and have plenty of time to sit and do nothing, I thought I would add a post to our much neglected blog. This summer has been our busiest and most eventful yet, but things have finally slowed down enough where we can catch our breath (until baby comes of course!). We now have about two and a half weeks to go until the "due date," but of course we know this baby will not come until it is ready.

We had a slight scare at 35 weeks when I went in for my check-up. My midwife realized that I was not measuring any larger than my previous appointment two weeks prior, so she started explaining to us the possible reasons. We froze, however, when she said I may have too little amniotic fluid, which would mean we would take a trip to the hospital that day to have the baby. Let's just say we were speechless, which if you know us, this does not happen very often! We had not even started on the nursery yet and still had houseguests at this time. After many hours there and many tests later, the doctor and midwife decided I had enough fluid not to induce at this point, but they put me on restriction (no exercise, cleaning, etc.) and told me I needed to fatten up our baby. Thank goodness for those free hot chocolates my dear husband brings me home from Starbucks!

I am happy to say, though, that after this week's ultrasound (and no, we still don't know the sex of the baby), the fluid levels look better, though I am still on restriction. Chad started the nursery last weekend and has worked tirelessly in order to get it finished (hopefully we'll be posting pictures soon). I still have to be put on the fetal monitor every time I go in, but it's a small price to pay as long as we know the baby is fine. Joey, however, is suffering as I am not able to take him on our daily walks anymore.


The Fisk's said...

How scary! I'm glad everything is alright! You take it easy, and enjoy being waited on! Can't wait to hear when the little bean arrives!

Karis said...

I went through something similar it sounds like when I was pregnant with Kayla. I was measuring 2-3 cm "small" the whole time, but near the end, there were a couple of times I measured 4-5 cm smaller than the number of weeks I was. That's when the ultrasounds started (around 36 weeks) and they were wondering about the amount of amniotic fluid as well as whether the placenta was still nourishing the baby.

From 37 weeks on, I went in for non-stress tests twice a week. I couldn't understand it because I gained 30 pounds with the pregnancy so I didn't feel small at all. They did say that I could be carrying small because I have a long torso and the baby can be more up and down rather than just out. Still, they didn't know why at the end I was measuring farther away from my number of weeks instead of staying the same. I had an ultrasound the day before they basically made me induce (they let me go to my due date) and it estimated the baby at 5 pounds 3 ounces. The week earlier, the ultrasound had estimated 5 pounds 10 ounces so with that in addition to the measurement, they said she wasn't growing anymore and would do better outside the womb. I tell you all this because after all the "could be's", we had a happy ending. Your specifics could be completely different from mine so there's not a true parallel, but it's always good to hear positive news. I was induced on my due date, and she was 7 lbs and 2 ounces almost two pounds more than the ultrasound showed and that was with me measuring 4 cm "small" at my due date.