Thursday, August 14, 2008

i heart paul



Sometimes in the morning you just need a little time in the New Testament epistles to get you going. I did not want to get up early this morning, trust me. I have been sleeping better at night, but last night was not one of those nights (or at least the wee hours of the morning). So, when my alarm went off, I wished to just stay in bed until Juliana started chattering through the monitor. I knew my whole day would be off if I didn't force myself up, so I did. I am so glad.

I just finished reading Galatians and started the book of Ephesians. And even though it is a book that I have studied quite a bit (thanks, Chad), this morning its message was so fresh and so pointed. The Holy Spirit really used the words of Paul to strengthen my faint heart. This morning I was reminded that: even though I was a child of wrath walking in darkness, God in His rich mercy loved me and made me alive in Christ. I have been seated in the heavenly places in Christ. I am created to now walk in good works, as God's workmanship. Although once far off, I have been brought near by the blood of Christ. I have access to the Father through the Spirit. I am a part of the household of God! I am a partaker of the promise in Christ through the Gospel.
How could I not want to start my day after reading this??? And if this wasn't enough, I was especially strengthened by Paul's prayer in 3:14-21. Whenever I usually read these verses, I always read them as prayers for others (again, thanks Chad). But not this morning. This morning the Spirit gently reminded me that this was also for my life. God wants me to be strengthened with power in my inner being by the Spirit. God wants me to have the strength to comprehend and know the breadth, length, height, and depth of the the love of Christ -- the love that surpasses all knowledge. He wants me to be filled with all the fullness of God.

What a timely message of encouragement for my heart this morning. God knows I surely needed it. After studying, I do feel strengthened to persevere in my day. Now on to my second cup of coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. A great reminder of God's will for each of us.

Rebecca Townsend